First day at the University of Warsaw(?)

 So yesterday I told you today is Meet your ESNer day… weeell not exactly. It is for most of the people, but not for us.

But let’s start this blog in the beginning of the day. We got up quite early – especially early for me, because the past 3 nights I could hardly catch any sleep – and walked to the main campus which supposedly should have taken us something like 30 minutes, but the weather was pretty cold and terribly windy, so to reduce the time we have to spend outside we rushed to the place in 25 min.

After a few minutes waiting, our guide has arrived. He walked us around the main campus, told us interesting stories – like some of the buildings were built in the 16th century(?) or the biggest room of the Faculty of Geography and Regional Studies used to be a movie theater! He also told us how the University of Warsaw is competing against the Jagiellonian University – these are the top 2 universities in Poland. It was great spending time at the university, basically we haven’t been to any university in the past 2 years? Okay not exactly 2 years, but not that much less.

After we finished our tour, we were starving so we decided to have some local food for lunch. We ended up in a restaurant called Gosciniec Polskie Pierogi. I had a Warsaw beef soup and pierogi staffed with bacon and potato, and Sara had some pancakes with broccoli in them – I forgot the exact name sorry. It was an experience that is for sure! I do love Polish beer as we established that before, and I think I also like Polish food. The soup tasted great, but the meat was a bit weird for my taste. The pierogi was also great, buuut a little less pepper wouldn’t have hurt nobody. Although the food was good, I think it was a bit on the dear side, we paid 107PLN for a lunch for two… Okay of course we couldn’t eat all of it so we asked them to pack the food and it become a great dinner later that day, but still 107PLN for two lunches is a bit pricey.

I learnt two things today. One is how awful do some people behave. I admit the campus tour was not exactly what I was hoping for – I think we should have been divided according to the field of studies – but I respected our guide, so I had not started having loud conversations or phone calls while our guy was talking to us!!! I don’t want to sound like a great grandpa, but wtf, where is the respect and the discipline?! I am probably older than those guys were who couldn’t simply shut up, but I felt bad for our guide. Thanks God they were not Hungarians.

The other thing I learnt today was that I have become a couch potato in the past year! Before corona I was an active man doing sport having multiple jobs when I had time to work, but now… After a 2 hour tour my back was hurting and I felt exhausted! After we had lunch, I was ready to sleep. I guess that 3 hours in the morning contained more activities than my average days do, and this is shameful. I gotta start doing staff. The only reason why we are not at the ESN event is because it is time for us to go to sleep.

Tomorrow we don’t have any meeting to attend but I am sure as hell I gonna get out to the city and at least walk around for a few hours to get some of my fitness back.

 

Hope you doing well and see you tomorrow,

Almos

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The actual first day at the University of Warsaw

Let's pretend this is day one(?)

Last Day in Warsaw