Polak Wegier dwa bratanki

 

Okay, so I told you last week my class on Wednesday might be in-person form next (this) week. As it turned out it was! It was in-person class for the others… I was home waiting for the email of the lecturer whether the lecture will be online or offline… You might think I’m stupid because I missed the class before of that, but I think it is not my fault. The teacher sent us an email last week (45mins before the start of the class) and she told us she will let us know if her child has Covid or not because obviously that will affect the class. But I never saw any message of her, and I even tried using her link to the online meeting from last week expecting she will notice that something is wrong… I really hope this won’t affect my studies in a bad way.

But the event that made my day big time! We went out to have some dinner – we ended up in McDonald’s which might seem like a stupid decision, but we wanted a burger bad. After our lovely dinner we headed to the downtown which was a huge surprise. It was completely empty like there was a curfew that we didn’t know about. We walked around for a half an hour then headed back home. We waited 15mins in the bus stop for a bus that should’ve arrived in 5min so we decided to walk instead. We walked to another bus stop where was a strange old lady. She started talking to us in Polish, so I did my party trick: “Movie po anglesko?” – I’m not sure about the spelling or the pronunciation, but I can say it with confidence. She said something like ‘no’ and turned to Sari, who didn’t know what to say or do, because the lady kept talking! So, I said Wegierski – it means Hungarian – and pointed on us then she stopped talking, took a step back, looked at our eyes, and went like ‘Jó napot kívánok!’ – that’s how you say ‘good morning’ in Hungarian – and left with a huge smile on her face!
This little conversation-ish situation absolutely made my day! Such a nice lady such great memory!

Sometimes when we travel in “the West” it feels like people would look down their nose on you when they hear you are Hungarian, but here it is completely different! Here in Poland and in the Baltics, people know about Hungary, they know some of our words, they know some of our actors(!), and most of them had been to Hungary!

 It really feels like the verse Polak Wegier dwa bratanki (Polish Hungarian two friends) has a true meaning!

I absolutely love it!

– see, I told you todays blog will be much better –

See you tomorrow,

Almos

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The actual first day at the University of Warsaw

Let's pretend this is day one(?)

Last Day in Warsaw