Visiting Gdansk Part 3. Plus Visiting Sopot!

 

Now, we are picking up the story the next morning in Gdansk. Our first morning in Gdansk! We were extremely glad when we got up and realized we were nowhere near the used condom, so we probably didn’t touch it. Actually, I’m 100% sure we didn’t touch it!

The previous day at one of our coffee breaks we had the chance to talk to a guy, who was actually the owner of the coffee. He was a super nice dude, he told us he’s been to Budapest around 1988, when people in Hungary already heard of the Solidarity movement, and the anticommunist thoughts of Polish people – and Hungarian people loved the idea of getting rid of the commies. So, our man went to a bar, it turned out he was Polish, and Hungarians kept buying him glasses of wine, he told us he got so drunk he couldn’t walk the next day! There is Polish-Hungarian friendship for you! Anyways, why I’ve started talking about our new friend is because, he told us, that windy weather was the perfect time to visit Sopot, where you could walk down the pier, watch the huge waves. Well, as you probably read, we didn’t go to Sopot that day, however we did go there the next day! And that’s where our story continues…

We got up reasonably early – I mean after being up the previous day from 0445 till 2345 – and our first trip was to the train station, where we got on a train and traveled to Sopot. It was a nice 20ish minutes train ride from station to station. That day we were lucky with our weather, it was sunny, and only a tiny bit of breeze hit us time to time. Maybe breeze is not the right expression, it was more like wind, but after the previous day it seemed much-much lighter.
So, when we got off the train, we couldn’t help noticing the beautiful architecture of the weekend houses. They were beautiful and huuuge! It was something like a 20-30 minutes’ walk to the seashore, and it was pretty amazing! I wish I lived there – or I’d be on Erasmus in Gdansk.
When we got to the pier… well I wouldn’t say that we were disappointed, although we were kinda disappointed. I think we both expected something more glorious? I don’t know what we were expecting, but I’m sure as hell we got something else. And don’t get me wrong it was nice, and interesting, but nothing really special. And on top of that it turned out that during tourists’ season you have to pay to enter the pier! Why the hell would I pay to walk on the pier?! I hate it when I have to pay for something like this… Like the city wouldn’t help itself to tourists’ money anyway. But let’s not get bogged down on what you have to pay for and what not, let’s stick to the main story. While we were walking on the shore, I’ve spotted a cargo ship. And then another. And then another! And then yet another! And then yet another! Holly molly we were near a very important shipping route! Massive cargo ships were all over the horizon! What an amazing view?! Yeah, I am aware of the negative impacts of those beasts on the environment, but I still adore them very much. I think I have a thing for ships… They are just so awesome! And it doesn’t really matter whether they are some massive cargo ships or just a little canoe. If it floats, I love it simple as that. Except cruse ships. I hate cruse ships. They are just a great example of over tourism, and they have terrible effects on the environment – mostly because no politician wanna deal with regulating the emissions of any ship basically.

When we were cold and hungry enough to be motivated to leave the beach, we went for an authentic Polish restaurant: McDonald’s. Yeah… I’m not proud of that, but we were starving, and we’ve realized something about this interesting city. It’s basically just a city to show off. So, what we’ve realized was the fact that all restaurants in reachable distance were super fancy, super show-offy however that was not what we wanted. I admit there are times in your life when you feel like having a beautifully served meal, with a price equivalent with Greece’s annual GDP, but that day we felt more like some simple food which would last in our stomachs for more than 2… seconds.

Sopot is like Siófok – for Hungarians – for the rest of my readers it is something like Miami, I guess. Nice houses expensive cars, huge number of wannabe influencers with tiny tops and shorts, and of course orange skin. It is an interesting place let’s agree on that.

I’ll continue the story tomorrow, just to make it a little more enjoyable(?)

Till then, take care and have a great day,

Almos

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The actual first day at the University of Warsaw

Let's pretend this is day one(?)

Last Day in Warsaw